An American in Scotland

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Customer (Dis) Service

First of all, the exchange I’m about to describe started with a mistake I made.

Since Gareth and I aren’t married, we need to have wills and powers of attorney that delineate who gets what if one of us dies, especially since we are getting ready to purchase a house together. In a moment of cheapness, we decided to forgo a lawyer (solicitor) and order a set of prefab wills/POAs from an online company called tenminutewill.co.uk.

After I read through the FAQs on the website, paid £84 and spent significantly more than ten minutes filling out all the forms, I noticed in one of their return emails a line saying the documents were legal in England and Wales, but not Scotland. This sometimes happens; the individual countries that make up the U.K. don’t always work the same way with regard to matters of a legal nature, in much the same way that U.S. states have different laws. Realizing I somehow missed this important piece of information, I decided to try and get a refund on the grounds that I wouldn't be able to use them.

So I sent tenminutewill.co.uk’s customer support department a brief but courteous email asking for a refund. I didn't really expect to get one, but you don't get if you don't ask. The unnamed customer support rep responded with an oddly sarcastic email basically stating that I should have read all the small print and it was my own fault.

Although there are many things in the U.S. that could arguably stand improvement, American companies have customer service down to a science, which was why I was surprised by the rep’s rudeness. This prompted me to send a response that included following:

"you might want to simply post clearly on your website that your products are not valid for Scotland" and "Since you are not being reasonable, I will be sure to post on every will-related forum I can find how accommodating and helpful you've been."

I never actually intended to do this – I just felt the need to respond to sarcasm with sarcasm and it was the only thing I could think of at the time.

A few minutes later, the rep wrote back:

Why should we waste space on our Home Page just to accommodate the less than 1% of our 'Customers' who are unable to read the words:

"All documents will be downloadable (and also emailed to you) immediately in Adobe Acrobat format as soon as you've clicked the 'PROCESS' button above, will be checked by a professionally-qualified Willwriter, and are valid for assets in ENGLAND AND WALES. If you have assets elsewhere please click here. If this box is ticked, you are over 18 and have read and accept our Terms and Conditions and, if you live in Scotland or the Channel Islands (or have any assets outside England & Wales), have read these notes."

What, pray, is NOT clear about the above ????? We'd be interested to hear why YOU didn't read and understand it.

Go ahead. If you spend 100 hours on this task you might get your message across to about 0.1% of our future Customers.

Don't forget to mention that your advice applies only to those who can't be bothered to read what they're buying before handing over their money. How ironic that you're Scottish.

Regards

Portology Ltd. Willwriting Support


Again, I’ve happily accepted the blame; I just don’t happen to think any customer should be treated that poorly by a representative of a company, regardless.

One thing I’d like to point out is the rep’s last sentence:

“How ironic that you’re Scottish.”

Besides the fact that I’m not Scottish, this is a great example of the ongoing prejudice between a relatively small number of Brits in both England and Scotland.

Some Scots still consider the English to be the enemy because they resent having been taken over by England in the 18th century. It’s difficult for me to imagine that people who weren‘t born then would still hold a grudge, but there you have it. And I guess it follows that some of the English, as the victors, still consider the Scots to be inferior to them, hence the statement above.

Going back to my problem with the wills, I thought about asking our bank to try and get the money back but decided I couldn’t be bothered with more paperwork. We met with a lawyer this week and he is putting everything together for us at a very reasonable price.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think more of the venom exists on the Scottish side of things. For example this past week two English fans were beaten up in Scotland. Its really sad and pathetic the extreme nationalism... luckily its only tiny minority and getting smaller..

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extreme nationalism is a bit of an overstatement....plenty of Scots have been attacked in England for having the wrong accent but it hardly makes the English into 45 millon anti-scots racist! There are idiots in every country in the world. Anyway, my point is that nothing upsets we Scots more than comments like that about how we hold a grudge at being taken over in the 18th century by England. A common enough misconception even in Scotland but simply not true. I think the clue is "Union" as in "Act of", 1707! Anyway, now that my little rant is over, I'd like to say how much i've enjoyed reading your blog! Its always interesting to see how your country is viewed by others(says me who moved to Australia two years ago!) I hope you continue to be very happy in Edinburgh, say hello to the old place for me.
All the best.

6:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - thanks for the "heads up" on these people i was almost gonna hand over my money to them aswell (tho i am in england).

i have written to them asking why they've treated you in such a disgusting way and if they dont respond made it clear that i'll take my business elsewhere as a direct result of their rudeness.

There is no reason why they couldnt have given you a part or full refund out of good customer care or even a POLITE reply !!

i just wanted to re-assure you that you do have the power to make people vote with their feet :) its about time companies woke up to the power of persuasion from unhappy customers.

11:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

REPLY ON BEHALF OF PORTOLOGY LIMITED

Ladies and Gentlemen

My name is Peter Benson and I am in charge of Customer Service at Portology Limited. I was appointed in early 2007.

I must admit that I would not want to deal with a Company that treated its Customers in the manner described above. However, I can assure anybody reading this article that things have changed significantly since I joined the Company.

First of all, I would like to deal with the incident detailed above by Ms McLain, and then I would like to explain what I mean when I say “things have changed”.

In the summer of 2006, one of the employees in our Company began to go through a rough period in their personal life. At that time, communication with Customers was done via email and it was difficult to monitor what was being said by our Reps to Customers, but eventually it emerged that some Customers had not been treated courteously by this person. After several warnings, the Company had no option but to reluctantly ask the said person to leave. What I am saying is that unfortunately Ms McLain’s was not an isolated incident, but that the person responsible is long gone. I will now describe the steps taken since the incident (one of which was my appointment) to ensure that it is not repeated.

One of the first things that I did when I joined the Company was to implement an online ‘Ticket’ system for Customer Service. What this means is that every single communication from a Customer (or prospective Customer) and every single reply is stored in our Database. Our Customer Service reps now know that I can (AND DO) check what our Customers are asking us and what our Reps are saying in reply (and how long it has taken them to reply).

As a result of the above we have been able to implement targeted training and development. Not only has Customer Service improved beyond recognition, but we have also made several amendments to our website and our service as a result of what our Customers have said to us (and, sometimes, what our Reps have said in response). Certainly a repeat of the experience of Ms McLain is now as impossible as it could practicably be (given the fact that our Reps are only human).

If you’re reading this, please feel free to give this claim a try: please contact us via the “Contact Us” form at our website www.tenminutewill.co.uk and see for yourselves how we respond. Unless, of course, you live in Scotland: you’d be wasting your time because unfortunately our service does not cover you.

I would like to personally apologise to Ms McLain for the way that she was treated by our Company. If she would like to use the “Contact Us” form at our Website to get in touch with me and confirm that her address is the same as it was when she made her purchase on 8th June 2006, then I will arrange for a full refund to be issued along with a full written apology - which she may publish on this website if she so chooses.

I would also like to thank “Anonymous” above for bringing this matter to my attention.

Finally, I must say that the overwhelming majority of our Customers are delighted with the service that we provide them. Almost every day I read the comments of Clients who have taken the trouble to contact us and express their thanks for the quality of service that they have received.
However, I would always be happy to hear from anybody with a different experience.

Kind Regards

Peter Benson

9:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I left a comment above saying that I would be contacting the company as we had begun the process of using them for our wills too.

I can confirm that I had a very quick reply from them (i logged the query at 23:14 and a customer services reply was waiting before 08:00 the following day, with a personal reply from their MD before 08:30) giving me his 100% assurance that the company are willing to guarantee we would be totally satisfied :)

I believe he has also now offered a FULL REFUND and APOLOGY to you :) I would reccommend you give them a chance as they have clearly identified and implemented very successful new procedures as a result of your case and others like it.

BWS :)

1:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this is why Scotland is seeking foreigners for their ever-expanding customer support jobs. I'm moving to Scotland soon, and as an American with a bounty of CS experience and tact, I'm looking forward to giving some refreshment to frustrated customers.

11:18 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Things haven't changed at all!!!

12/02/15 I have recently endured the misfortune of dealing with these 'people' I contacted them to carry out the provision of a Lasting Power Of Attorney for myself and my wife. Their service fell far short of that expected and I ended up losing all confidence in that the finished product would be acceptable to the legal profession so I cancelled the contract before I received the finished product and requested a refund.
They refused point blank in a very forthright, rude and disrespectful manner.
As I had paid for their 'service' through Paypal, I approached their Resolution Centre. After a while I received their decision that they had found in my favour but were unable to offer a refund. I appealed to Paypal who immediately refunded me out of their own funds.
Need I say more!!!!!!!
Wendy Lewis

10:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home